Thu - 15/08/24

 Thursday 15 August 2024

Gothenburg Blog

Weather

Weather in the UK in the morning is OK, in Gothenburg rain early, drying out.

What I did today

Thu: I packed my small shoulder bag into my hold case for the flight (Ryanair rules). I was aiming to get to the airport for 07:30. I was in the hotel foyer at 07:20. The buses were at 07:15 and 07:45. While I waited for the 07:45 I had a chat with Jenny from Cambridge whose daughter did the London Marathon. Jenny had piriformis problems so we had a chat about that and yoga and Pilates. I paid £4 cash for the bus, but unlike yesterday the contactless machine was working! There was no problem at bag drop and security, it was all fairly quiet. I did a tour of the shops and restaurant area airside at Stansted. I had a tea and water at Café Nero and then decided to have breakfast at Comptoir Libanese. The breakfast, coffee and spiced hot chocolate was very nice. The flight was uneventful. There was a little bit of a queue at passport control for non-EU citizens. The airport bus was easy to find outside the airport entrance. It would have been useful if I could have pronounced my destination perfectly (Berzeliigatan) but I was close enough for him to understand. I checked in at the hotel and had a coffee, croissant and small chocolate cake in their lounge area and then headed for the stadium.

 I wasn’t quite sure of the direction on the tram and how to pay for my ticket but my first hunch was the correct direction. I tapped my STAR card. What I didn’t know was that this gives me 90- minutes travel in Zone A. I should have remembered that. Also, it would be useful to remember the station names at the end of each line that I want to use.

 I collected my race numbers and athlete ID. I also bought a WMACS 2024 large technical T shirt for £30 or thereabouts. I checked where the BMMS team would be. They had gone home. I headed back for the hotel on Line 1 and walked from Bruunsparken stop back to the hotel. It was less than one mile.

 I went to the restaurant next door to my hotel for an evening meal. It is the Buenos Airies Argentinian steak house. It is very nice but I need to watch my carbs intake.

 It was a tiring day.

 Other things to note.

A lidded mug to carry a hot drink upstairs would have been useful.

I forgot to bring a physio band

Swedish sockets are not the same as those in Southern Europe. The twin pins are larger. I have borrowed one adapter from the hotel reception.

What’s Next

Fri: I need to stretch and to rest.

 

Aug 17 (Saturday)            Gothenburg parkrun

Aug 20 (Tuesday)             Gothenburg 6K X-C

Aug 22 (Thursday)           Return from Gothenburg

Aug 23 (Friday)                 Maybe a Rest Day, maybe a circuits day.

Aug 25 (Sunday)               Gothenburg Trip – Comp Dates - TUE 13 AUG - SUN 25 AUG

Aug 26 (Monday)             Pilates

Aug 27 (Tuesday)             Circuits and a training session

Aug 27 (Tuesday)             Massage (Daniela at 15 00)

Aug 28 (Wednesday)      Yoga

Aug 29 (Thursday)           Body Conditioning plus an InBody weigh-in.

Aug 29 (Thursday)           A Cara session (see above) and a training session

Sept 09 (Monday)            Endoscopy Three

Sept 11 (Wednesday)    Einstürzende Neubauten

Jan xx (TBA)                        House Move

Mar 19 (Wednesday)     Fly to Gainesville FL (with Virgin Airlines via Atlanta, GA)

Mar 23 (Wednesday)     Gainesville FL – WMACi Competition dates Sun 23 Mar - Sun 30 Mar

Apr 02 (Wednesday)      Gainesville FL – Return Flight (arrive back on Thu 03 Apr)

 

 

Popular posts from this blog

Tue - 31/12/24

Sat - 21/12/24

Sun - 29/12/24